SaaS Growth Hacks and Powerful Insights from 15 Years of Building SaaS Companies with Sujan Patel [Ep. 72]
How do you make the leap from identifying a great business opportunity, to forging a path for yourself in that particular industry?
As a young entrepreneur, Sujan Patel quickly identified that SaaS businesses were growing at an astonishing rate, and made it his mission to break into the space. Fast forward to today, Sujan is the founder and owner of multiple SaaS businesses, including Mailshake, an email outreach tool that helps turn cold prospects into warm leads.
In this episode, Sujan guides us through the ups and downs of his entrepreneurial journey and shares the inspiration behind Mailshake, the catalyst for his SaaS success. He shares his expert insights and growth tactics for how to stay competitive in an ever-evolving industry. According to Sujan,
“Everyone talks about this silver bullet of growth, but there’s no one silver bullet. It’s all compounding effort. You find one lever and you pull it and it works. Then you find ways to scale it and keep trying to find more. It’s just consistency, time, and testing.”
As a veteran marketer, Sujan dives into how to build a moat around your business to protect it from competitors, and how to build a word-of-mouth engine that will boost your sales and brand identity. He also explains why he moved away from building businesses into buying established businesses instead.
If you’re an aspiring SaaS entrepreneur, you don’t want to miss out on this roadmap to creating a sustainable and scalable SaaS business!
Listen to The Opportunity Podcast Episode #72
Topics Discussed in this episode:
- Sujan walks us through how he ended up becoming a SaaS founder (02:16)
- The evolution of the Saas industry and where it’s headed (07:25)
- The inspiration behind Mailshake (12:09)
- The obstacles Sujan faced when trying to get Mailshake off the ground (16:31)
- The framework Sujan developed to successfully launch new SaaS ventures (19:57)
- Why Sujan transitioned into buying SaaS businesses instead of building them (23:13)
- Why a word-of-mouth engine is such a powerful marketing tool (28:14)
- The biggest myths and misconceptions within the SaaS industry (35:55)
- How to navigate the future of the SaaS industry safely (39:47)
- The lessons Sujan learned while writing his book, 100 days of Growth (43:59)
- Empire Flippers Podcast
- Empire Flippers Marketplace
- 100 Days of Growth by Sujan Patel and Rob Wormley
- 7 Powers: The Foundations of Business Strategy by Hamilton Helmer
Sit back, grab a coffee, and discover the framework for building a powerful SaaS portfolio.