5 Truths About Website Publishing You Don’t Want To Hear
Website publishing and making money through AdSense, affiliate sales, etc. can best be described as “The hardest way to earn easy money.” The cold, hard fact is that as of today 5/18/11, AdSenseFlippers.com is on track to make only $2,100 in AdSense revenue. That’s not a lot of money…you can get a job as a night-shift security guard and make more than that!…and we’re more successful than most AdSense publishers!
The good news is that we also know that as of May, we’re creating around $1,000 per month of passive monthly income each month…it will just take 3-4 months to realize our full efforts. Additionally, $2,100 per month is worth at least $25,000 – $31,000 on the market, and we’re adding $12,000 – $15,000 worth of market value now each month. Is it worth it? We think so…but there are some tough truths you should know before you take a stab at it:
- You’re going to fail – Not every time…not on all things…but it’s going to happen. When we were just starting off, we made the mistake of looking at broad search rather than exact search on the Google Keyword Tool instead of using Market Samurai, purchased and created sites on terrible keywords because we had a “hunch”, etc. The worst was the first 60 days. We made plenty of mistakes and toiled away…for around $2.00 a day…ugh! That leads us to the next point:
- You’re going to work for peanuts – …at first. It’s miserable toiling away and watching your revenue “roll” in at $0.57 days! If you’re just starting off, plan on your average site getting up to $10 – $12 per month in four months…that’s it. Yes, you’ll have sites that are winners and earn quite a bit more, but that won’t be your average. I don’t care what the guru’s tell you…plan to make less than they claim to. The best thing to do in the first 60-90 days is STICK WITH IT!
- You’re going to worry – You will constantly hear from people that claim you’re sites will be deindexed, your AdSense account will be banned, etc. If you follow the rules to the T, create unique content that ads value to the end user, and follow the rules with regards to your advertisements, you’re going to be fine…but you will still worry! It can be a bit nerve-wracking having “all of your eggs in one basket”, but Google’s basket’s pretty big. If you’re providing value for the end-users and Google’s advertisers, you’re going to be fine.
- You’re going to get off-track – We’ve done it and continue to do it to some degree. We get sidetracked looking at affiliate offers, chasing after keywords we know we shouldn’t pick, etc. The best thing you can do is limit this the best you can. Go for the reaches, but bring yourself back to what you KNOW works.
- You’re going to find it’s hard work – Sure, you can do it sitting on the beach on WiFi, sipping a drink with an umbrella in it (I definitely recommend it!), but you still have to get the work done…and it is work. Go ahead and relax…but stay focused. It’s not for everyone, honestly.
It’s not always the most rewarding job, but it’s great to know that you’re earning every day, every hour of the week! If you can stick with it for 3-4 months you’ll begin to see results that will push you to get there that much sooner. It’s nice to know that I can take breaks like this (These pictures on this post are from yesterday, island hopping and snorkeling on a party boat with friends) and continue earning…it makes it all worth it!