Selling Websites Made Easy – How to Sell Your Site With Us
Are you looking into selling your websites?
You’ve come to the right place! This post will explain some of the benefits of selling websites with us and the exact step-by-step process used to take you from listing to actual sale.
Some website sellers are a bit fearful about the process, but it’s not nearly as complicated as you might think. We’ve sold hundreds of sites since we’ve started and can make your first (second, third, etc.) sale as painless as possible.
Here are a few of the benefits our sellers have mentioned:
- 20X to 60X+ Monthly Profit Multiples – Our buyers come to us because they’re looking for quality listings and they’re willing to pay a premium for them.
- 95%+ Of Marketplace Sites Sold – That’s significantly higher than our closest competitors.
- Private Listings = Private Niches – Our buyers understand the value here…there won’t be dozens of copycats that come with publicly listed sites.
The reasons are simple – our buyers have come to expect a high level of quality on our online businesses for sale. All of our sellers and sites listed go through an extensive vetting process where not all sites can be listed. In fact, we reject around ⅓ of the sites that are submitted.
We do this to protect the buyers and the sellers that continually bring quality sites to us to sell.
This post is to help you better understand the types of sites we’re looking for and the requirements we use to vet the sites.
Alright, so let’s get you started selling websites with us.
What Sites Are You Looking For?
We have a diverse group of buyers looking to add to their portfolio.
Types Of Websites & Online Businesses
If you’re unfamiliar with what one of these are below, feel free to click on the link to a little “primer” article we’ve written on each type of online business model that we sell on our marketplace.
- AdSense Sites (Individual sites or packages)
- Amazon Affiliate Sites
- Affiliate Sites
- Dropshipping Sites
- eCommerce Stores
- SaaS Businesses
- Lead Generation Sites
- Amazon FBA
- Mobile Apps
- Productized Services
We Don’t Need:
- Non-monetized Sites or Blogs
- SEO/Linkbuilding Service Sites
- Social Media Like/Fan Sites
- Adult Related Sites
- Gambling Related Sites
- Any sites promising cures through herbal remedies or other dubious claims
- Any sites related to hacking or other criminal activities
We reserve the right to reject your business if it leans too closely with any of the above.
Website & Online Business Revenue
- $1,000 Minimum Per Month Businesses ($500 net profit per month is acceptable for Adsense /Amazon Associates / Affiliate sites)
- Business must be at least 6 months old
- $500 – $5,000 Per Month Businesses – Typically sold in 1-4 weeks
- $5K – $20K Per Month Businesses – Typically sold in 2-8 weeks
- $20k-$40k Per Month Businessses – Typically sold in 3-14 weeks
- 50K+ Per Month Businesses – Typically sold in 2-6 months
We Don’t Need:
- Sites Without Revenue
- Sites with Less than $500 Per Month in Net Profit
- $5M+ Sites (Too large)
What’s The Process For Selling Websites With You?
The first step is to head over to our Sell Your Site page and submit your site with us. Here are our listing fees:
First-time sellers – $297
Repeat sellers – $97
The first time you list a site for sale with us you’ll pay $297 and every listing after that will be charged $97. This is to cover the time, effort, and energy that goes into making sure the sellers and sites check out.
If for any reason we decline to list your site on the marketplace, the fee is 100% refundable.
Once we’ve listed the site for sale on the marketplace, there are no refunds.
After you’ve selected your package and have paid the appropriate listing fee, you’ll be redirected to an order form where you’ll fill out information about yourself and the site.
Here’s the information you’ll want to have ready:
- Personal information (Name, email, skype, social media profiles, etc.)
- Site/Business details (URL, date purchased/created, site history, backlinking efforts, etc.)
- Last 6+ months of revenue details (gross monthly revenue, net monthly profit)
- Last 6+ months expenses (COGS, Virtual Assistants, content, advertising, etc.)
We’ll also ask you for screenshots of:
- 3 months+ worth of revenue proof
- Google Analytics / Clicky screenshot
Once the order form has been submitted a ticket is automatically submitted to Zendesk and our team will take anywhere from 3-5 days to get back to you. Sometimes they need more information about the site/seller which may include:
- Additional or corrected screenshots
- Google Analytics access
- Clarification on revenue or expenses
- A quick Skype chat/call
Once our team has gone through all of their checks and verified the information, the information is sent to our team for final checks and approval of the listing (2-4 days.)
We list new established websites on our marketplace on Monday mornings PST.
Average time from initial submission to listing takes approximately 2-3 weeks.
What Do I Do After My Site Is Listed?
Sit back and leave the heavy lifting to us!
We’ll promote your listing to our audience and buyers through our 35K+ strong email list, social media profiles, and blog posts. Our goal is to find your business a good home – someone that’s looking to add your exact site to their portfolio.
If your business qualifies, we’ll record a seller interview with you (audio only). Our buyers find these extremely helpful and they help us attract more interested buyers to your listing. Examples here.
We’ll help with buyer vetting, communication, and negotiations. Ultimately, the decision to sell is up to you, but our job is to make that process as smooth and as painless as possible.
This is part of the reason we ask so many questions upfront – so you’re not stuck answering them over and over again from interested buyers!
The only thing you need is update your screenshots and revenue details every month so that we can publish those changes for interested buyers. Our team will remind you each month your site is listed to update your information.
What If My Site Doesn’t Sell?
As we mentioned before, more than 95% of the sites listed on our marketplace have sold.
We ask for six months exclusivity from the date of listing your site (unless otherwise agreed) to complete the sale.
In the rare instance your listing goes past that, we’ll continue to promote your listing to our 40K+ potential buyers that visit our site every month.
What Happens After The Sale?
Once the buyer has made payment and the funds have cleared, we’ll begin the process of transferring the site to the buyer. This is a service we offer that’s included with the sale, although some of our sellers would rather handle this portion directly.
Once the site transfer has been verified by the buyer, we’ll release the funds to you – this usually takes just a couple of days once the site transfer is complete.
You will be responsible for any bonuses like Skype calls, email support, or content that has been offered in the listing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you guarantee my website or business will sell?
No. Although we’ve had a great track record to date, past performance is not an indicator of future performance and we cannot guarantee your particular business will sell.
Can I list my website or business concurrently elsewhere?
No. All business listings on Empire Flippers are exclusive. On very rare occasions we may help another broker get exposure for his or her listing, but this isn’t the case for 99% of businesses listed.
What are the fees?
- $297 to list the site with us the first time ($97 each additional listing.) – Refundable if we do not accept and list the site
- Our commission fee after the successful sale:
- $10k-$1 million 15% fee
- $1 million to $2 million 12% fee
- $2 million to $5 million 10% fee
- $5 million+ 8% fee
Pricing is subject to change. Make sure you have it in writing (via email) from us.
How do you determine the listing price?
Our process for determining the sales price uses the following formula:
Sales Price = Monthly Net Profit X 20x to 60x+ (depending on Valuation Tool estimates) + Discounted Assets (if any) + Wholesale Inventory (if any)
Monthly net profit is determined by averaging the last 6-12 months worth of revenue and subtracting any costs (COGS, marketing/advertising, hosting, Virtual Assistants, etc.) In situations where the niche is seasonal or the business has been running for years, we’ll take an average of the last 12 months. (Clearly mentioned in each listing)
We’ve sold hundreds of sites in this range and have tested through this to arrive at this valuation method.
Use our Website Valuation Tool to get an estimate of how much your website may be worth.
Want to learn how to increase your online business sales value? Here’s our free Seller’s Checklist on how you can raise the value of your website.
Where do I get started?
If you’re not quite ready to get your site listed, but want to hear more information from us about preparing your site for sale via email, please click here.