Redefining Startup Success: The Power of a Meaningful Exit With Alexis Grant [Ep. 84]
We’ve all read stories and news articles about multi-million dollar businesses that have been sold and the ripple effects these acquisitions have on their respective industries.
But an exit doesn’t have to involve enormous sums of money to be meaningful.
When Alexis Grant realized that there were important acquisition stories going untold, she created They Got Acquired, a media agency seeking to redefine startup success by sharing the acquisition stories of underrepresented founders.
In this episode, Alexis joins us to discuss the inspiration behind They Got Acquired, and the ways in which she hopes to educate entrepreneurs who are preparing to sell their businesses. She also reveals the obstacles she faced building a media company from the ground up and how she has structured her business to provide value to her audience. According to Alexis,
“When building a media brand, the place that I always start from is creating really high-quality content. Think about how you can create something that’s valuable, because if people don’t want to read it, or listen to it, or consume it, then you’re not really doing yourself or them a favor.”
Alexis also shares insights into her own acquisition stories, discussing the differences between an acqui-hire and an asset sale, and the lesson she learned from both experiences.
Whether you are a first-time seller or an experienced entrepreneur, this is an episode you don’t want to miss!
Listen to The Opportunity Podcast Episode #84
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- Alexis walks us through her entrepreneurial journey so far (02:26)
- The lessons Alexis learned from her own businesses being acquired (07:57)
- What inspired Alexis to create They Got Acquired (12:47)
- The types of success stories Alexis wants to shine a light on with They Got Acquired (15:24)
- The obstacles Alexis faced building a media company from the ground up (19:01)
- Interesting tidbits Alexis has picked up from the businesses she’s covered so far (26:03)
- Alexis’s advice to entrepreneurs looking to start their own media brand (31:44)
- How Alexis maintains efficiency to maximize her ROI (34:42)
- How Alexis aims to help women founders find a place at the table (37:19)
- Alexis’s goals for the future of They Got Acquired (39:55)
Sit back, grab a coffee, and learn how to successfully navigate the acquisition process.