The Opportunity Ep.24: Breaking Down the World of FBA Mergers & Acquisitions
In this episode of The Opportunity Podcast, we will be speaking with Nate Jackson, the Head of Acquisitions for Perch, one of the leading acquirers and operators of Amazon Private Label brands. Nate explores the ins and outs of the fast-growing world of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) of FBA businesses.
Nate has had quite the career change once he stepped into the world of FBA, saying he “went from a mechanical engineer in the navy, to selling women’s leggings on the internet”. In between these two very different roles, Nate had worked for some of the biggest names in M&A. Upon seeing the growing emergence of Amazon and the difficulty of other businesses to compete against the giant, he decided to not swim against the current and dive into the world of FBA acquisitions. He now heads M&A at Perch and has helped grow their portfolio to 23 brands across 10 categories. In his interview, he uncovers everything he looks for in an acquisition, and the levers Perch pulls to take businesses to their next phase of growth. He also shares his views on growing their current brands on Shopify, his favorite types of deal structures, and why this is an incredible time to exit an FBA business.
Sit back, grab a coffee, and get ready to hear from an M&A expert what’s new and unfolding in the FBA acquisition space.
Listen to This Episode
Topics Discussed in this episode:
- The three-step process Perch implements to grow new acquisitions
- What happens to brands that sell their businesses in the current market
- What kinds of businesses Perch loves to acquire and the ones they avoid
- How FBA M&A was affected by Covid-19
* A quick update: one of our chosen listings is no longer on the marketplace but don’t get too disappointed! We have another great listing that ticks some of the same boxes. Listing #47835 an Amazon FBA business created in June 2019 in the electronics niche making $14,039 on average per month in net profit.
We hope you enjoy the episode! Have interesting insights on growth opportunities in online business? Know any useful tips when it comes to growth? Either way, leave us a comment below, give us a shout on your favorite social media platform, or leave us a great review if you’re loving the show.