We’re Hiring a Content Marketing Pro
Needless to say, all that researching, writing, talking, and creating has drained our brains a bit. Especially with our marketplace continuing to grow with new sites for sale and buyer opportunities daily.
We truly believe in the power of content marketing and love sharing not only our stories, but the stories of our customers and other online entrepreneurs as well.
We’re looking to double-down on the success we’ve already had with content marketing – and that’s why we need YOU!
Click here to apply Closed
You have until
February 15th March 1st to apply, but you must follow the directions in this post.
What’s the Opportunity?
We’re hiring a Content Manager to help us produce and curate new content on our blog, explore new content opportunities and mediums to expand our reach, and to help us clean-up/improve the content we already have available.
You’ll be working closely with us in SE Asia for (at least) the first six months as we get you up to speed on our company, our position in the market, and the needs/interests of our community.
This is NOT just a six month position, though – we want someone who’s in this for the long-term. Ideally, you’ll continue on past your initial six month test period, working with us over the next 2-5 years and beyond.
While you’ll start working with us closely in SE Asia, eventually this role could turn into a location independent position, allowing you to work from wherever you’d like.
What’s Our Story?
Joe and I moved to the Philippines in 2009/2010 to setup an outsourcing company and ended up creating our first online business, AdSense Flippers, where we shared our journey in creating profitable niche websites and selling them to our customers. We ended up with several companies and brands online.
In early 2013, we merged all of our companies/brands into one – Empire Flippers.
As we continued to offer various products and services, we realized in 2014 that we had an incredible opportunity and position in the market. We decided to sell off, give away, or drop everything that wasn’t related directly to buying, selling, and investing in websites and online businesses.
Ultimately, we were able to create a market-leading brand through the trust we’d built with our customers.
We’ve gone through some tremendous growth in the last few years. Here are some of our numbers from 2015 alone:
- 175 websites sold
- $4.5M+ in total website sales
- 476K+ website visitors
- 164K+ podcast downloads
- 23K+ email subscribers
We’re really happy with our track record, but still feel we have long way to go (and plenty of room to grow!)
In 2016, we plan to:
- More than double our website sales to $10M
- Launch our first public investor program
- Aggressively target the high-6, low-7 figure market
Why are we looking to hire?
This isn’t our first rodeo. In fact, it will be the fifth management position we’ve offered in this way. Our management team is made up of strong, smart, location-independent professionals. This has been one of the most important direct contributions to our year-over-year growth.
I could tell you what an “exciting opportunity” this, but even the shitty, cubicle-based jobs mention that, so I’ll spare you.
Instead, here are some things our current team has to say:
Coran Woodmass (Sales – Marketplace Manager)
“I started as a client of Empire Flippers both as a buyer and a seller, I joined the team in October 2015 and I love it. I deal with buyers and sellers all over the world. I can work my schedule around my lifestyle, from seeing a new city/country, to catching up with friends mid-week or planning afternoons off to go to the gym. The online business sales industry is growing rapidly and it’s a great time to join a trusted company in this space.”
Andrew (Listings Manager – Marketplace)
“Living anywhere you want? Check. Work with not only co-workers, but close friends? Check. Find yourself willingly working in your spare time because of how fun it is? Check.”
What’s the Position Like?
We’re far from a Fortune 500 company, so you won’t be a cog in our wheel. We have a small, scrappy team, which means you’ll likely end up doing completely new things everyday to meet different business needs as they pop up.
Here’s a look at some of the tasks and processes you’ll be responsible for:
- Act as a liaison and curator for our team of writers and guest posters
- Create 2-3 long-form content pieces for Empire Flippers per month (including our monthly reports)
- Write 3-5 content pieces per month to be used as guest posts and published on other sites
- Create weekly/monthly newsletters for our subscribers
- Edit and improve on our current email autoresponders
- Create niche-specific opt-in giveaways, tailored for our audience
- Coordinate round-up posts from other experts in our industry
- Social media monitoring and publishing
- Content calendar scheduling and management
- Brainstorming with our team new and creative ways to publish content
What Skills Do I Need?
While this position will require quite a bit of creativity and some soft skills, there are some specific requirements for this position that you need to review carefully.
- A track record of thoughtful, high-value content that engages people. You need to be able to point me to published content on the web that came from you and has received some level of traction (and excitement). These might come in the form of How-To (tactical) blog posts, critiques or thought pieces on an industry, interesting/engaging podcast interviews, or even forum posts. (Where you went in-depth on a topic that delivered a ton of value to the reader)
- A deeper-than-surface-level understanding and appreciation for what we do at Empire Flippers. While you don’t have to know every step in our process to buying/selling websites, I do want you to be onboard with our message and the things we value in business. It shouldn’t be too difficult – we definitely have recurring themes that you could find with some cursory research. Show us that you know our business, care about what we’re doing, and can pay attention.
- Excellent taste when it comes to fleshing out complicated ideas in helpful ways. While I know this is subjective, you need to be able to easily discern why one blog post is better than another. Part of your job will be in the content curation and editing process which will require you expand on the great ideas and scrap the rest.
Here are a few things that aren’t required, but would be helpful:
- Experience buying/selling websites
- Ability to think like and speak to an investor’s perspective
- General Internet skills/experience
- Conversion rate optimization experience
- Marketing automation experience (We use Hubspot, but any experience with Ontraport, Infusionsoft, etc. would be helpful)
What’s The Lifestyle Like?
You’ll be joining us in SE Asia and we’ll help you hit the ground running. To start, you’ll be sharing an apartment with Justin (me) until our management meetup in Saigon in April. (Every 3-4 months we all fly to the same city to live/work close together and knock out some work).
We’ll take care of your rent/food from the time you arrive through the management meetup in April, and then you’re on your own. You’re going to be working pretty closely with Justin the first 3-4 months and will need to be living in the same city, but our team is mostly spread out through SE Asia. Here’s an example of where we’re currently based: Joe (Manila), Kenny (Bangkok), Coran (Chiang Mai), Andrew (Saigon), Mike (Colombia currently, but heading back to Saigon).
Love It… Now What’s the Catch?
This isn’t charity and it’s not a lottery. Our plan is to integrate you into our management team in a way that allows you to thrive professionally while growing our business. You’ll get a ton of value (personally and professionally) through our connections and pre-established social circles.
You’re going to be playing catch-up as we teach you all the ins and outs of our business. Make no mistake – there are many moving pieces and you’ll need to be quick on the uptake to learn everything you’ll need in the first few weeks/months.
You’re going to have to stay pretty close to us here in SE Asia for at LEAST the first year. This may eventually turn into a more location independent position, but you’re going to have to be committed to hanging with us pretty closely for the first year. We know that working in-person initially will help you become familiar with our business and help us find areas of opportunity. We want the type of person who will ask, “What do we need to do to make this relationship continue because I’m digging it and I’m good at the work!”
You’re going to put in hard work and long hours. There’s no clock punching, this isn’t a side-gig, and many of our conversations and communications are with those in less-than-optimal time zones when you’re in SE Asia. (Europe, US, etc.) These irregular hours can be a blessing and a curse, of course. There will be times where you spend your Tuesday afternoon sipping fruity drinks by the pool, and then there will be other times that you have to knock out a 14+ hour day on a Saturday. That’s just how we roll…
We’re going to need your full attention. We’re looking for someone that wants to create a permanent, valuable position on our team. This isn’t an extended vacation or a gap-year getaway, we want someone with a “commitment to the hustle” and savvy enough to realize the opportunity you’ll have with us.
You’re not going to make a ton of cash at the start. You’ll make $1,500 USD per month through the management meetup in April, which is plenty to live a comfortable life in SE Asia and enjoy yourself. After that, you’ll be bumped to $2,000 per month, but pay for your own room/board. After a full 6-months we’ll reevaluate your position and look to add you to the company Profit Share program.
You’ll start with some lower-level tasks, but the goal is to get you management high-level projects that have a direct and measurable impact in our organization. The goal is a seat at the table, and your first six months will be your opportunity to get there.
We don’t want to oversell this, but it is an amazing opportunity.
Don’t think you’re qualified? You might be surprised! Go ahead and apply. We’re looking for a good fit more than anything else.
We’ll be reviewing EVERY application, and we know others that are looking to provide a similar opportunity, so you might be a good fit for them as well.
How Do I Apply?
- Step 1: Record a YouTube video (details below), fill out the application, and submit to us. (ASAP)
- Step 2: We review submissions and schedule interview (1-2 weeks)
- Step 3: Second interview and final decision (1-2 weeks)
- Step 4: Apprentice announcement (March)
- Step 5: Arrive in SE Asia (March)
The absolute last date to submit will be March 1st, but do not wait until then. We will be interviewing people along the way, and might make our decision before then, in which case you’d definitely miss out! Your best bet is to submit ASAP.
*YouTube Video Requirements:
We will only accept submissions that include a YouTube URL. Please leave the video “unlisted” in preferences and share the link with us. The quality of the video doesn’t matter and no bonus points for editing. I just want (up to) 3 minutes of you explaining (based on your previous experience):
1. Why this is an excellent fit (for you and us)
2. How you’ll help us really grow our content marketing and brand
If you’re thinking about applying but worried you might not have enough (insert excuse here) – don’t worry. You’re better than you think you are!
Click here to apply Closed
We look forward to working with YOU soon!
Want to hear about more opportunities like this? Sign up for our email list!
Have any questions or comments about the position? Let us know in the comments.