AFP 34: Expanding Niche Sites With Pat Flynn From Smart Passive Income
Wondering about how to take your niche sites to the next level? We’ve been thinking about and working on this in recent weeks and we decided to sit down with Pat Flynn of Smart Passive Income to discuss how to build and grow a niche site beyond the typical keyword research and content strategies we’ve mentioned previously.
How to Expand Your Niche Sites
Pat’s been very public with a few of his niche sites and we really wanted to pick his brain regarding niche selection, backlinking, traffic strategies, and content creation. We’re glad to say he did NOT disappoint and we think this is probably our best interview to date. We get down and dirty with Pat this week and really delve into the successes and failures of his previous niche sites, his plan for future sites, and even get him to give away one of the ideas he’s currently working on. This is definitely an episode you shouldn’t miss!
Check out this week’s episode here:
Direct Download – Right Click And Save As
Topics Discussed This Week Include:
- Tools for finding a site’s historical pagerank – Question from Ryan Higgins
- Interest Vs. Profit – What makes for a good niche?
- 7 Problems, 7 Fears, 7 Passions – A strategy for niche selection
- Driving traffic to a site and determine whether it’s “made it” or not
- The upside/downside of making your sites public
- Backlinking strategies that work and keeping current with Google updates
- The role of VA’s with niche sites – Everything except content – Hourly Vs. Project-based outsourcing
- Picking the winning projects from the losers and doubling down
- iTunes Reviews – Another 5-star iTunes review…sweet!
- Smart Passive Income – Pat Flynn’s blog where he outlines his online strategy, lays out his income reports, and publishes his highly-rated SPI podcast on iTunes.
- SEOMoz and LivePageRanks.com – Tools you can use to check a site’s historical Google pagerank.
- OutsourcingForStartups.com – A new marketing arm for our outsourcing business…coming in 2013!
- GreenExamAcademy.com – Pat’s first niche site about passing the LEED exam.
- Internet Business Mastery – Jeremy from IBM helped get Pat (and so many others) started with monetizing his first niche site.
- eLance – Pat uses them for outsourced help when it comes to ebooks, programming, etc.
- SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Pat’s public niche site example and the site he’s looking to take to the next level in terms of quality content.
- NicheSiteDuel – Hub on SmartPassiveIncome that shows every post relating to his Security Guard site including niche selection, keyword research, content creation, linkbuilding, etc.
- The Backlinking Strategy That Works – The strategy used on Pat’s niche sites and inspired by our previous guest Joseph Archibald.
- Indeed – Allows you to embed job boards onto your site and earn money as well as helping to fill out your site.
- Bubbl.us – Great cloud-based software that “might” be able to replace your whiteboard…check it out!
Thoughts on this episode? (Sorry about the quality of my voice during the interview…damn mic settings!) Please let us know in the comments below and do say hi on Twitter! You can also use Speakpipe to leave us a message below! (Don’t worry…you can stop and start over if it doesn’t come out right the first time!)